Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thank Goodness for Medical Insurance

I can tell you from a personal standpoint how important it is to have medical insurance. I have a blood disorder called ITP which basically is that my body kills by blood platelets which you need in order to clot. So if I get cut, it would be hard to control the bleeding.
This year my blood platelets have been running very low. I have had to sit on iv's for many days. I received infusions of gamma gobulin which cost approx $15,000 a dose. I have had 2 doses this year. I have also had Rituxan which costs approx. $15,000. The total for my medication alone since Jan 15th is $45,000 and that does not include the numerous doctor visits, needles etc.
No matter how hard it is to carry medical insurance, I wouldn't go a day without it

No comments: